Whether scratches are small or large, deep or superficial, the process of removing them is very much the same when done by professionals. Minor scratch repair is a gradual process that should ideally work with and around the affected layers of a car’s finish. The paintwork surrounding the scratch must also be taken into account, with the touch-ups blending in smoothly with the rest of the car’s surface.
Five basic steps to auto scratch repair
Professional scratch repair works with polishing compounds of varying degrees of abrasiveness, applied either by hand or machine polishing. The five basic steps, which may be repeated or varied as much as necessary until the job is finished, are as follows:
- Step 1: The car is thoroughly washed and dried.
- Step 2: The appropriate compound is applied to the scratch with a microfiber cloth using a back-and-forth motion and firm pressure.
- Step 3: The scratch and the surrounding area are wiped dry with a microfiber towel, and the scratch is then assessed.
- Step 4: Steps 2 and 3 will be repeated as much as needed until the scratch disappears.
- Step 5: Once the scratch is repaired, the product is carefully applied to a larger surrounding area so that the touch-up blends in with the rest of the paintwork.
Scratch repair, like all car paint and coating treatments, should be done under shelter, away from direct sunlight.
For deeper scratches, it is best to use an orbital dual action polisher rather than applying the product by hand, as this will exert greater pressure and allow the product to penetrate to the bottom of the scratch. For genuinely flawless scratch repair work, it is best to entrust your vehicle to professionals.
Pro Auto Spa is an auto detailing facility in Colorado Springs. If you require dent repair or minor scratch repair on your vehicle, bring it to us, and let the professionals deal with it. Contact Pro Auto Spa for more information.